2 Feb 2010

Incoming... 03/02/2010

New comics are released tomorrow (in the States at least; we have to wait until Thursday in the UK!). Here's a brief look at our expectations for the books we're picking up this week.


Stewart R: Well I’d never have predicted this - I only have five comics on my pull-list for the week! That must be a record as I’ve grown used to my bag groaning under the weight of printed goodness as I walk out of the comic refuge that is Paradox each week. With such a reduced number the question now has to be asked: will what the order lacks in quality be made up for in sheer quality?

First up is Sweet Tooth #6 by Jeff Lemire, and after a triumphant and brilliantly understated first arc we’re now into new territory as the ‘In Captivity’ arc begins. Gus’ journey with Jeppard has been fraught with emotion so far and he finds himself in further danger now after the conclusion of the last issue. This title was one of the great debuts to come out of 2009 and I’m really looking forward to learning more about the post-apocalyptic world that this Vertigo book is set in.

And that’s it for ‘other’ publishers as my remaining order is filled up with Marvel titles. Despite an unfortunate truck accident in the States in which no-one was thankfully hurt (unless it involved a real life Ch’p and we haven’t heard about it – Green Lantern gag!) I’m hoping that the reductions of some titles won’t hit my order and bring my tally for the week down further.

Siege #2 has to be the biggie on the list with Bendis doing a decent enough job with his ‘seven years in the making’ event in the first instalment but it's Oliver Copiel’s artwork that's the main draw for me. I’ve glanced at the Marvel 8-page preview for this issue and it’s looking tasty indeed with Ares being in the thick of things once again. Of course if like the first issue we only get 23 pages of story and action and we’ve seen 8 already, are we getting value for the dollars?

The remaining titles on the list also look decent enough with Invincible Iron Man #23 still dealing with Tony’s comatose state and the impending threat of an attack by Ghost. Ed Brubaker’s Criminal: The Sinners #4 should have brooding protagonist Tracy Lawless’ investigations causing him even more of a headache as his enemies close in around him and Nova #34 sees the Human Rocket continue his strange battle in the Fault against the Sphinx. Nova’s been experiencing something of a lull recently so I’m hoping that Abnett and Lanning start bringing their ‘A-game’ to Richard Rider’s exploits again.

So a pretty quiet week with some very promising titles indeed and I’m expecting the quality to be high. I suppose when faced with a cheap week like this my eye should possibly find itself straying over those long boxes in Paradox and the wonders that could lie within…

8 comments:

Matt Clark said...

Scalped, Criminal and Iron Man are my priorities this week. Also looking forward to the next issue of The Torch, a surprisingly great miniseries that has been massively overlooked.

I'm hoping Jason Aaron brings the magic back to Wolverine: Weapon X too. At $3.99, it really needs to be something special.

Stewart R said...

I get the feeling that Iron Man and Criminal will be the most anticipated titles for a lot of people out there this week. Let's just hope that there's enough Invincible Iron Man to go around!

What titles are any other readers out there going to pick up?

Tom P said...

Ultimate X. Cmon Loeb don't let me down.

Matt Clark said...

You're on your own with that one, Tom!

Tom P said...

I live in hope...

Stewart R said...

Marvel have been advertising Ultimate-X enough to maybe think people will give it a go for the first issue at least... though not me of course!

Andy H said...

If Loeb doesn't do it for you surely the lure of the great Art Adams will sway some people. I'm up for it and don't call me Shirley!!

Anonymous said...

Despite collecting comics since 1972, I'd never heard of Art Adams before, until Andy mentioned him at one of the Ten Forward meetings a couple of months ago.

-Rob N