31 Aug 2010

Incoming... 01/09/2010

New comics are released Wednesday (in the States at least; we have to wait until Friday in the UK thanks to the August Bank Holiday Weekend!). Here's a brief look at our expectations for the books we're picking up this week.


Matt C: A slight change to the regularly scheduled programme. Normally it’s Stewart R working away into the early hours on a weekly basis to deliver his thoughts on the imminent selection of comic book goodness that will be taking up shelf space over the next couple of days. Unfortunately for you, Stew is still in the midst of moving house and lacks the required broadband connection to get a new edition of Incoming… together, which means you’ll just have to make do with me this time. He sends his apologies.

My highlight of the week is Scarlet #2 from Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev. Bendis’ mainstream superhero work has been a real turn-off for me since he left Daredevil so I was more than a little surprised at just how good the first issue of Scarlet turned out to be. I’ve heard rumours regarding where the story may be heading and I’m really hoping Bendis builds on the promise of the debut and reminds us of when he used to be one of the best writers in the business rather than the hack who churns out shallow, ham-fisted Avengers books.

The crime genre is what I’m drawn to above all others when it comes to popular entertainment, so you’d think I’d be chomping at the bit to see Stumptown #4. Unfortunately, while it started off so well, the delays the title’s experienced have really put a dampener on my enthusiasm for the project. It’s now being listed as #4 of 4, but if there are any further issues down the line I may need real convincing before signing on again. This week also sees the third and final issue of Last Days Of American Crime, another book beset by delays. I didn’t bother reading #2 because when it finally arrived as I couldn’t recall what happened before, so decided to wait until all three where in my hands before going diving in. The first issue was impressive and it’s even garnered the attention of charisma-vacuum Sam ‘Avatar’ Worthington, so chances are we may see a movie at some point in the future. I'll throw in Choker into this trilogy of crime books that have been hampered by delays, but it's not been that long since the last issue of this Ben McCool/Ben Templesmith collaboration, so I'm hoping I'm not left scratching my head by the end of #3.

Next to Jeff Lemire’s Sweet Tooth #13, and it's a series that j
ust keeps getting better and better. When you consider how great it was to begin with, well you probably get an inkling of how highly I rate the title. DC’s Vertigo imprint is currently responsible for some of the best books on the market with the likes of Scalped, The Unwritten, Daytripper and Northlanders. Sweet Tooth easily holds its own amongst such distinguished company. Perusing the list, it’s also the only book from DC I’m picking up this week.

As well as the aforementioned Scarlet (on the Icon imprint) Marvel appear to be trying to flood the market again when you consider the amount of comics due in on Wednesday/Friday. The only thing that really springs out is Jason Aaron’s relaunch of Wolverine (because you demanded it?!) but while his Weapon X series had its moments it didn’t really live up to the expectations I had for it. I may give it a look, but it’ll be a decide-on-the-day situation. Heroic Age: One Month To Live #1 piqued the interest of several of my Paradox colleagues when it appeared in Previews, and if I’m feeling like taking a risk on a new title, this mini - with its look at a regular guy who gains superpowers but only has 30 days to live - may fit the bill. It’s a five-issue series and is due out every week in the month of September with a new creative team tackling the story each week. That last point puts me off a bit as I can’t see it retaining a consistent tone or feel, so it’s looks like it’ll be yet another decide-on-the day choice come Friday.

Those are my picks, but I’m probably missing something. What looks good to you this week?

2 comments:

Andy H said...

Despite my loathing of Marvel and their continued swamping of the market I am looking forward to Thor: For Asgard. Simone Bianchi's art just looks stunning! I feel a little self loathing coming on. Damn!

Matt Clark said...

Thor is the new Deadpool, apparently.

Anyway.... dammit! I missed out the final issue of this season of Proof in this week's round up! How could I make such an oversight?! See, this is why Stew does Incoming and not me!