15 Dec 2010

Incoming... 15/12/2010

New comics are released Wednesday (in the States at least; we have to wait until Thursday in the UK!). Here's a brief look at our expectations for the books we're picking up this week.


Stewart R: Wow, what a topsy and indeed turvy week this has been with Christmas parties and gatherings, a delayed delivery of comics to Paradox (the third party responsible has been sent a copy of Halo: Uprising as punishment) and a bout of winter lurgy knocking the stuffing out of me. I think the only suitable prescription would be a healthy order of fresh comic goodness to clear away those cold weather germs!

Disclaimer: The scientists at Paradox Comics Inc cannot endorse the use of comics or similarly illustrated material as a sole method of treatment for the common cold, man-flu or that thing where Spider-Man actually turned into an eight-legged beast. Please consult your physician if multiple eye sprouting and biological web oozing persists.

Haha-HA, oh the mirth! Well I might as well start where that little painful bout of comedy dropped us and say that I am terribly excited about getting my six hands - OK, stop it now Stew! - on Amazing Spider-Man #650 this week as this arc has really put ASM back on the list of ‘must reads’ of the moment. The combination of Slott’s tight and well considered writing and Humberto Ramos’s lively artistic style has been a true winner and I think that many a folk will be picking up this week’s edition to find out just where Spidey’s neon-tastic new costume comes from. I already have a hunch it’s specifically to do with his current adversary’s particular power set but I’ll leave it at that for now. I’ve already managed to catch a look at the blurb and some cover art work for future issues of Amazing Spider-Man and I think we could be in for a treat over the coming months as well.

Sticking with Marvel for the moment and another of those ‘must read’ titles I will of course be rubbing my spinnerets together in anticipation of reading Jeff Parker and Kev Walker’s Thunderbolts #151. After last issue’s over-sized confrontation with a few of the Avengers big guns it seems that Parker is bringing the focus squarely upon this bunch of conscripted crime-fighters as we get some further insight into Ghost’s past and possibly learn a little more about where his paranoia and fascination with conspiracy theories came from. For the past couple of years Ghost has been the most interesting character in the Thunderbolts, seemingly having a conscience of some description one moment only to act with ruthless selfishness the next, and getting an issue dedicated to him is probably long overdue.

Over at DC I once again get a double dose of Lantern goodness as Green Lantern #60 and Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #5 hit the shelves in the same week. After last month’s rather shocking cliffhanger in Green Lantern where Parallax turned up and took possession of Barry Allen I’m assuming that we may be in for a rather fraught ride this time out for Hal Jordan as his best friend plays host for a truly frightful entity. That said, the blurb on the DC site seems to suggest that we may be learning more about the Indigo Tribe and their entity of compassion, Proselyte, while the cover suggests that we might get a long time coming face off between Hal and Sinestro. Whatever happens it looks like Geoff Johns may well be keeping things moving at swift pace and have a few further surprises in store for the readership.

Meanwhile in Emerald Warriors it looks like we might finally get to see... well I’m not 100% sure!! DC’s website seems to have dropped into an alternate reality when it comes to this title. Out of sequence covers and out of sync synopsis that don’t match to the issues in question; it’s all quite discombobulating! I’ll admit that I just had to dig through several months of comics to make sure I was fully up to date and hadn’t managed to miss an instalment. Going by the end of the last issue I’d say that we’re likely to see Guy Gardner, Kilowog and Arisia being given a rather difficult time by a bunch of mind-controlled Green Lantern rookies and possibly, fingers crossed, a first meeting with the mysterious Zardor!

Regular readers of this blog may have noticed that Rebekah Isaacs has been receiving a fair amount of praise for her artistic talents over the past couple of months and even nabbed the Most Promising Talent award at this year’s Paradox Oscars no less! Well I imagine that the praise is likely to continue as she picks up pencil and pen for Magus #1, written by Jon Price and David Norton and published by 12 Gauge Comics. I have to say that I’ve been looking forward to this book ever since I spotted it for Ten Forward all those many moons ago and the idea of a world where everyone wakes up one morning to find out that they have magical powers AND that that power was innate but suppressed in the first instance sounds like a delicious slice of mysterious fun! The brief preview over at Comic Book Resources (another Paradox Oscar winner come to think of it!) certainly looks impressive.

Quickly skimming over the rest of my week’s haul I’ll be expecting the usual level of detailed and well planned storytelling from Mike Carey in Unwritten #20, be looking for Wolverine and Co to battle back against the odds and the Horsemen of Apocalypse in Rick Remender’s Uncanny X-Force #3 and will quite probably be suffering through a case of the ‘ho-hums’ as I read Batman and Robin #18 and still wait for Paul Cornell to convince me that his is a writing style that I could grow to like. To be honest I’m thinking the whole spider-mutation thing is a safer bet to take right now but I'll stick with it! Happy reading folks!

No comments: