26 Oct 2011

Incoming... 26/10/2011

New comics are released Wednesday in the States and guess what, in the UK too! Here's a brief look at our expectations for the books we're picking up this week.

Stewart R: Wow! This, ladies and gentlemen is no ordinary Wednesday! This... this is the Wednesday when we, the comic reading public, get our hands upon Chris Bachalo’s new ongoing series!! He and Jason Aaron are teaming up to bring us Wolverine and the X-Men #1, as the six-clawed, Canadian grump sets up his new school on the grounds of the old one in Westchester. While I’m not convinced that Schism was quite the rank splitting event that it could have been, I am looking forward to seeing just where Aaron is going to take his side of the story now that the division has been set up and the various players are in place. Being the huge Bachalo fan that I am, I’m also really looking forward to seeing what he and inker Tim Townsend bring to the table on a monthly basis, and of course just how long the run can go before a substitute penciller is required. According to his own website, Bachalo started work on this title some months ago in order to build up a nice buffer so I’m confident that we should get a run of 6-8 issues before we see any change.

Also hot off the presses is another $1.00 effort from DC/Vertigo in the form of Spaceman #1 by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso. The story will focus on a hulking man-ape called Orson - part of a project to create humans hardy enough to survive the harsh conditions of space - who never got his chance to fulfil his purpose but may get an opportunity for some limelight when he finds himself in the midst of a kidnapping plot. I’m always willing to give these bargain debuts a go and Vertigo haven’t done wrong by me in the past with them. For a dollar, what can go wrong?

The bigger gamble for me today is picking up Incredible Hulk #1 by Jason Aaron - a busy man this week! - and Marc Silvestri. I’ve only picked up comics involving the green behemoth a few times in the past and have had a brief flick through some issues when perusing the shelves over the past couple of years and not been convinced to invest my money. With a new creative team, a renumbering and a new world of hell for Banner to live through I’ll definitely give this a look today but it could well be the one and only issue of the series that I buy. It all depends on how interesting the separation of Bruce from the Hulk proves to be.

‘What about the DC New 52 efforts’ you may well ask? Well I’ve already decided that Green Lantern: New Guardians is just not going to be a title that I want to invest my money in after just one issue. I get what Tony Bedard is going to try to do, and to be honest it does interest me a little having read the future solicitations, it’s just that I’m really not into Tyler Kirkham and BATT’s art in the slightest and I find that it distracts from my enjoyment of the read. I certainly hope the series does well as it sounds like a story that needs to be told, I just won’t be reading it now. Batman: The Dark Knight #2 on the other hand remains on the pull-list as I think this will be the Bat-title that delivers that constant ‘punching crime in the face’ action that we like to see alongside the the detective smarts and familial politics found in Batman and Batman And Robin. I would have called you a crazy person if you told me a year ago that I’d be picking up three comics dedicated to the Caped Crusader any time soon!

Time to give Image a little love I think as they have four books down on my list today and it’s been a while since that occurred. One series I’ve stuck with but haven’t been convinced by is Jonathan Hickman’s Red Wing which reaches it’s conclusion with #4 this week. I’ve found the time travel ideas to be interesting but feel that there’s been a slight lack of character and plot to drag the story along - once again it’s a Jonathan Hickman comic that’s been missing ‘something’. A comic with a bit of everything so far however, has been one of the newer titles to gallop out of Image’s stable. I’m really looking forward to getting stuck into Vescell #3 as the previous two instalments have been packed with comic goodness, combining science fiction with a fantastical mysticism and a small dollop of sexiness too. I’ve been really impressed with how much content we’ve received each time for just $2.99 and I dare say that Image are rivalling DC in terms of quality and quantity of material per issue, per dollar handed across the counter at the moment.

No comments: