28 Aug 2012

On The Pull 29/08/2012


New comics are due to hit the shelves on Wednesday so here’s a look ahead at some of the books we’ll be picking up this week. To see what’s available at Paradox this week, click here.

Matt C: The big news this week I guess is the much-trumpeted Superman/Wonder Woman snog in Justice League #12. I’ll always think Clark belongs with Lois, but we’ll see how it all pans out. This arc has been much better than the first, but the Shazam! backup still wins it for me. I’m excited to see how Brian Azzerello wraps up Spaceman – it’s been one of my favourite tales from the writer, and Eduardo Risso’s art has been unsurprisingly excellent. I’m not overly impressed that the brilliant Journey Into Mystery is about to embark on a crossover with the mediocre Mighty Thor, but it’s still a non-mover on my pull-list, and if that fails to impress I’ve still got the Marvel books Uncanny X-Force, Wolverine & The X-Men and Winter Soldier to fall back on. Flash Annual #1 should be good as it continues on from Manapul and Buccellato’s Flash #12, and aside from that the only other offering from DC I’m picking up is Before Watchmen: Minutemen #3, which is not only the best book of that whole project but stands a good chance of being my book of the week. Unless Prophet #28 has anything to say about it, of course!

Tom P: Woah, talk about a load of comics! A big week for me compared to the rest of this month; also, it’s the first week with no creator-owned books which has taken up a good chunk of my reading so far in August. Over at DC we have the only Before Watchmen title you need to read: Minutemen #3 (of 6). Then there's Flash Annual #1 (I have high hopes for some eye popping Manapul artwork) and a bit of Shazam! with the heavily hyped superhero romance of Justice League #12. At Vertigo you can never go wrong with some American Vampire. Marvel soak up a good bit of my cash this week with AVX: VS. #5 which, despite the revolving creative teams, I've enjoyed a lot. FF #21, Journey into Mystery #642, Ultimate Comics X-Men #15 and the awesome Uncanny Force #30 which, along with Wolverine & The X-Men #15, continue to show how strongly the Children of the Atom have returned to my regular comic reading. Top that off with some Winter Soldier and I'm spent.

James R: It's a pretty standard week for me this week - I'm excited to see the finale to Azzarello and Risso's excellent Spaceman from Vertigo and American Vampire continues to be a quality read. From Marvel I'll be picking up the two X-books which have won me over to the mutant cause; Uncanny X-Force and Wolverine & The X-Men, both of which have been consistently superb. Over at DC, I'll take a look at the Before Watchmen title, Minutemen - the brilliant Darwyn Cooke turned in the best issue of any of the miniseries last month, and I can't wait to see if he carries it on with issue #3. I'll also pick up Justice League, but it continues to be a book that dangles on the precipice of droppage for me. Even with the upcoming tonsil hockey between Superman and Wonder Woman, it just isn't as spectacular as it could (and should!) be. Finally, I'm not picking it up, but hey! Check that out! An issue of Powers! Once one of the titles that got me back into comics in a big way, the series has limped and stumbled like an old drunk since switching to Icon/Marvel. How the mighty have fallen, eh kids?! Happy reading!

8 comments:

Justin Giampaoli said...

Nobody is in on PROPHET this week?! ARGHHH!

Matt Clark said...

I mention it right at the end of my paragraph! Don't worry Justin, I'm always on Prophet!

Tom P said...

I missed the PROPHET train, but I read the first issue from the new run the other day (Image put it out digitally for free) I thought it was great. Will pick up the first trade when I'm in Paradox next.

James Randall said...

Justin, I'm the same as Tom - I only heard about how good Prophet was when the current run was 3 issues in, now I have to wait for the trade...(bah!)

Andy C said...

Woo-hoo, the return of the much-missed 'incoming' but with a new-fangled high-tech name. Nice one, guys! Also loving the new logo.

Light week for me - American Vampire, Uncanny X-Force and Winter Soldier. AV is a guaranteed quality read (almost boringly so!), X-Force is really delivering after the weak Otherworld arc (the last three issues especially) and the current Winter Soldier arc has been awesome and considerably better than the first one.

Likely to be another great Wednesday.....

Andy H said...

Oops! The Prophet trade was out last week but sold out straight away. Fear not, more are on order and hopefully be here next week. My pick for the week would be LOCKE & KEY: GRINDHOUSE. The series hasn't disappointed and this one-shot promises to add more to the mythos.

Ian said...

On The Pull - like it ;-)

walkeri said...

Nice new section to the site guys.
As for me I'm looking forward to picking up the Green Lantern Annual and the final issue of Man-Thing which for me has truly been a fantastic read,and apart from those two I'll be picking up Aquaman,BatmanBeyond,Detective,Justice League, Phantom Lady,National Comics,DC annuals of The Flash,Superman,J.L.International,Avenging Spider-Man,AvX,Capt.Marvel,FF,Hulk,Journey Into Mystery,New Mutants,X-Force,Web of Spider-Man,Winter Soldier,Wolverine/X-Men,X-Treme X-Men,Bionic Woman,Lord of The Jungle,Lone Ranger,Valen,Dejah Thoris and X-O Manowar,so as you can see with this many to read I'll be locking myself in my room with a bottle of Bourbon and a bag of doughnuts.