2 Oct 2012

On The Pull 03/10/2012


New comics are due to hit the shelves on Wednesday so here’s a look ahead at some of the books we’ll be picking up this week. To see what’s available at Paradox this week, click here.

Matt C: Marvel sometimes seem like they’re putting out more books than every other publisher combined on a weekly basis, so it’s kind of refreshing to see only a handful of titles coming from them this Wednesday. The reason’s obvious: Avengers Vs. X-Men reaches its conclusion this week and following that the Marvel NOW! ball will start rolling, so in some ways it’s the calm before the storm (if you can really describe what’s likely to occur in AVX #12 “calm”!). The big summer event from the House of Ideas has been erratic, unwieldy and inconsistent, but overall I’ve enjoyed it a heck of a lot more than I thought I would. The other main highlight from them is Uncanny X-Force #32, but then that’s generally a highlight every time it comes out. The only DC Universe book I’m going to look at this week is Detective Comics #13, and that’s because John ‘Chew’ Layman takes over the writing duties - I’m interested to see what he does with the character, and if he can avoid the increasing number of post-New 52 continuity issues that are beginning to plague Gotham! Before Watchmen: Rorschach #2 is the other DC book I was considering, but after being underwhelmed with the first issue, I may well skip it. Hypernaturals from BOOM! started off really strongly but has slipped a little since although I’m still curious to see where it goes next. Fatale is the only Image book that’s definite (and I’m finding it easier to read in complete arcs at the moment!) although Non Humans #1 may get a look in. Seeing what’s in store for my pull-list this week, I’m quietly confident that Sweet Tooth #38 will appear on the top of the pile, but as always it’s best to keep an open mind on that count!

Tom P: A lovely slim, inexpensive and manageable amount of comics this week. Thank goodness. I still haven't picked up last weeks! John Layman is starting his run on Detective Comics and I'm looking forward to seeing what the Chew writer can do with it. The continuity and general direction of the Caped Crusader has left me cold recently so here's hoping! Avengers Vs. X-Men wraps up with issue #12 and it should be bombastic fun - as an event I feel it's been a success and when Coipel was illustrating an issue it became something quite incredible. I may pick up AVX: VS #6 as I think it's all Jim Cheung and his stunning artwork alone is always worth the price of admission. The X-Book that hooked me and most of the PCG back into mutants is the last one on my shopping list and that’s Uncanny X-Force #32. Marvel NOW! is nearly upon us with Remender and Cassaday leading the charge - now that's something I want to see!

Stewart R: Well this is it, the culmination of Marvel's summer of work and the eve of a new era as the two biggest teams of heroes will be left looking very different once the dust settles and we've all had time to digest Avengers Vs. X-Men #12. I'm personally not expecting tremendous things from this final chapter, predominantly because Adam Kubert is back on artistic duties and despite being a top talent he's not in the same league as Olivier Coipel for me. Jason Aaron is however a top writer and I'm sure that he'll deal with the crescendo and fallout for so many characters with an expert touch. Marvel's tentpole is not the only exciting event prospect on the shelves this week though as DC stumble out of their #0 issue initiative and land Green Lantern #13 in our laps which should signal the full start of the ‘Rise of the Third Army’ storyline. DC could certainly do with a big boost outside of the Batman circle of winning presently and I'm hopeful that this event could prove to be a success!

No comments: