16 Oct 2012

On The Pull 17/10/2012


New comics are due to hit the shelves on Wednesday so here’s a look ahead at some of the books we’ll be picking up this week. To see what’s available at Paradox this week, click here.

Matt C: It’s not a title I’d normally place on top of the pile, and to be honest I’m not even sure I’ve read any previous incarnations of the series before (I have a vague recollection that I might have done at some point), but even though it’s not something that immediately appeals to me, I can’t ignore the one thing that really makes it stick out: Cyber Force #1 (and the following four issues too!) is FREE! It’s all made possible thanks to fans funding it through Kickstarter, and while I’m not convinced it will be something I'll really connect to, there’s no way I’m going to pass up the opportunity to give it a shot if it’s not going to bother the contents of my wallet in any way, shape or form! Aside from that I’m excited to see the second issue of Finding Gossamyr, scratching my head at the appearance of Sixth Gun #26 one week after the last instalment (it’s a great book so I’m not really complaining!), and trying to figure out which is a good contender for my book of the week:  Hawkeye #3 or Daredevil #19, possibly even the finale of the very good mini, American Vampire: Lord Of Nightmares, or perhaps the next chapter of Darwyn Cooke’s Before Watchmen: Minutemen? But then again, could The Activity #9 come out of the leftfield to bag the gold? It’s a solid series that’s been steadily improving, so you never know. Another promising selection, but first I need to finish reading last week’s books!

Tom P: This week sees Batwoman, Justice League and Wonder Woman hit #13. All feature my favourite Amazonian princess, but so far the JL version seems to be completely out of character with Azzarello's wonderful interpretation, which baffles me. Minutemen #4 is released and should be another class act from Cooke. Felicia Book has been the stand out performer for me in the American Vampire series so I will be super excited to read Lord Of Nightmares #5. Chew #29 will be my gastronomic book of choice from Image this week but I will also check out Cyber Force #1 as it's FREE! It would be rude not to! Hawkeye #3 will be the first thing I read this week. It's completely brilliant, and if you’re not reading it, why? What's wrong with you? Don't you like a superbly crafted mainstream superhero titles? I will try Marvel NOW! Point One because lame as it is, I'm afraid I might miss something! That leaves two Ultimate Comics. Iron Man #1 and Spider-Man #16. I've heard good things about Dancer by Nathan Edmondson so hopefully his take on Ultimate Shellhead will prove to be as good a read as USM and UXM have been recently.

Andy H: Two of my long term reads top my list this week. X-Factor has been a must read for longer than I care to remember and it's all down to Peter David. He's generally been left alone to tell the stories he wants to tell and it shows. X-Factor is a cracking series issue after issue. Hellblazer remains a fantastic title, it's gone through a number of writers over the years but has remained a favourite. Peter Milligan continues to bring the dark world of John Constantine to life. I really enjoyed Sword Of Sorcery #0 so I'll pick up #1 this week. Marvel regulars Uncanny X-Men and New Avengers will be joined by Marvel NOW! Point One and the second issue of AVX: Consequences. Another two from Valiant with Harbinger #5 and X-O Manowar #6 both ticking along nicely - Harbinger is a bit of a slow burner but well worth checking out. Finally it would be rude not to try Cyber Force #1, it is free after all and harks back to the good old days(?) when Image first started.

No comments: