30 Oct 2012

On The Pull 31/10/2012


New comics are due to hit the shelves on Wednesday so here’s a look ahead at some of the books we’ll be picking up this week. To see what’s available at Paradox this week, click here. 

Matt C: A five-week month means it’s slim pickings this Wednesday. A couple of dependable releases from Marvel (Wolverine & The X-Men #19 and Winter Solider #12) alongside Hit-Girl #4 from their Icon imprint but for the first time in a while I’m not picking up any books from DC. I guess that’s not surprising considering how much I’ve scaled back on the publisher’s output, but it still feels a bit odd. Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom #3 from the Daredevil creative team of Mark Waid and Chris Samnee hasn’t proven to be quite as arresting as the Man Without Fear’s adventures, but it’s a fun read all the same. Bedlam #1 from Image is probably worth a look considering the creative team and premise (Nick Spencer and Riley Rossmo with a tale of a homicidal crimelord who “got better”) and Fatale #9 will be added to the pile as a book I’m finding needs to be consumed in whole arcs. Top choice for me this week is CBLDF Liberty Annual 2012. Proceeds all go to a worthwhile charity and if that wasn’t enough to convince you, the talent involved (including Kieron Gillen, Warren Ellis, Jonathan Hickman and Roger Langridge) should.

Tom P: Well, the pumpkins have been carved and lit and winter has well and truly arrived with Halloween. In that spirit I will be reading my current horror comic of choice, American Vampire #32, as Pearl confronts her past quite literally. While the first issue of Morrison's new Image project was alright, I can't say much more than that. Happy #2 will have to up its game if its to hold onto my interest. The calling card success Waid has had with Daredevil will hopefully persuade a few more people to give Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom #3 a go - if you can track the other two down I highly recommend it. It serves as a reminder every time I read it that I really must invest in the original material one day soon. Mighty Thor #22 concludes the 'Everything Burns' storyline and Matt Fraction's work on the title. I was keen on his appointment when it was first announced but unlike the terrific Hawkeye his take on the Thunder God never clicked for me. The early Coipel issues were superb but after that he lost me. I wouldn't be reading it if it hadn't become a costly part of a crossover with Journey Into Mystery. Don't hate the player, hate the game, eh? A strong double act from Marvel's Ultimate line with Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man and Ultimate Comics: X-Men only serves to highlight the subpar nature of the other titles which have now cut from the pull list. That just leaves Bucky running around after a brainwashed Natasha in Winter Soldier #12 and is anyone safe in Wolverine & The X-Men after that shock death last issue? I would also like to add that our thoughts go to the spiritual home of comic books, New York City, and all other areas affected by Hurricane Sandy. Some of the pictures are unbelievable and it will all need a big clean up. To donate, click here: http://www.redcross.org

No comments: