6 Nov 2012

On The Pull 07/11/2012


New comics are due to hit the shelves on Wednesday so here’s a look ahead at some of the books we’ll be picking up this week. To see what’s available at Paradox this week, click here.

Matt C: Ol’ Shellhead finds himself on the top of the pile once again as Kieron Gillen and Greg Land take him into what is probably somewhere being described as “a bold new era”. I think Gillen is one of the top writers at the House Of Ideas at the moment, and while Land’s magazine-pose artwork can be a bit distracting, I’m confident this will be a good opener. Apparently this is set after the whole ‘Iron Man joins the Guardians Of The Galaxy’ thing, which sounds like a bit of a strange decision (so is it set several months after current continuity?) but I guess we’ll see how it works on Wednesday. The other big Marvel NOW! relaunch this week is Deadpool #1, and while I'd normally let this one pass by, the bonkers resurrection-of-dead-presidents plot is too appealing to ignore. Elsewhere, I’ll probably take a look at David Hine and Doug Braithwaite’s new scif-fi crime thriller Storm Dogs from Image, and obviously the penultimate issue of Sweet Tooth (where I think things are really going to come to a head) is an absolute must-buy. I’m still mulling over whether I need to give Before Watchmen: Moloch #1 a look, maybe I’ll just wait and let our resident Watchmen devotee James R tell me if it’s worth forking out for!

Tom P: I would love to check out a few more comics this Wednesday but by head must overrule my heart. Let’s face it, December won’t be cheap and I'm at the point where I cannot add anything more titles to my pull-list. Sadly it also means saying goodbye to Manhattan Projects. I liked the premise but it’s full of unlikeable characters and thus makes it easier to turn my back on them and the title. Saying that, I will be checking out Iron Man #1 to see how the new creative team works out. You get the added joy of playing "Where have I seen that Greg Land art before?" A fun game!  I will miss the down-and-dirty edge Uncanny X-Force adds to Marvels catalogue as it races towards its conclusion - love this comic. While Layman's first issue on Detective Comics didn't quite live up to my expectations (it felt very formulaic) I'm more than prepared to give him another go. Here's hoping he finds his feet with this title a little more this time around.

No comments: