13 Nov 2012

On The Pull 14/11/2012

New comics are due to hit the shelves on Wednesday so here’s a look ahead at some of the books we’ll be picking up this week. To see what’s available at Paradox this week, click here.

Stewart R: Right, ok, not only do I now require the genome to the fabled money tree, but I also need to self-replicate a second pair of eyes, arms and hands as well as developing an extra visual cortex, Broca’s area and an angular gyrus in my brain to deal with the daunting wall of reading material cascading towards me from the future that is currently tomorrow! 18 ruddy titles, 18! That’s an extraordinary amount following a few weeks where I was back to feeling comfortable with having just seven days to read through my selection at a leisurely pace. Unfortunately Peter Panzerfaust has had to make way for this cumbersome pull-list, and that only finds itself a casualty primarily down to logistics and coincidence – the last issue accompanied me to New York and missed its turn at getting read! There are no other deportees to report, but some promising immigrants that I’m looking forward to greeting.

Si Spurrier’s X-Men Legacy #1 has to be the most anticipated new title on the list thanks to the writer’s entertaining style that tends to ooze with devilish science-babble and plenty of smirk-inducing humour. I’m going to be giving Matt Fraction’s Fantastic Four #1 a roll of the dice to see how he handles Marvel’s First Family after guiding the slick, playboy antics of Tony Stark for several years and over at Image I’ll be getting my environmentalist-adventurers hats on before diving in to Great Pacific #1. The penultimate issue of Sean Murphy’s Punk Rock Jesus will definitely be getting a boost to the top of the reading pile this Wednesday as I’m itching to see what twists and turns lie in store for Chris’ revolutionary punk career! And who isn’t looking forward to the next exciting instalment of Bryan K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples’ space opera when Saga #7 hits the shelves?? Let the family frolics and interplanetary conflicts begin once more! My final contribution to On The Pull this Tuesday goes to thrusting the highly entertaining Think Tank #4 into your willing faces as this is certainly a series that deserves your attention if you enjoy anarchic tales of fighting back against the authority from slacker anti-heroes with a big old fat case of conscience!

Matt C: More Marvel NOW! titles to consider this Wednesday. Top of the pile for me is Thor: God Of Thunder. I’m curious to see Jason Aaron’s take on the Odinson, and the preview art from Esad Ribic has been pretty stunning. I’ll give Matt Fraction’s Fantastic Four #1 a look, but I’m a little less confident about this one – I’m not entirely sure he’s the right fit for these characters, but I’m more than prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. Which leaves All New X-Men #1 and X-Men Legacy #1. I’ve no real interest in seeing Bendis bring the original X-Men forward to the future (strikes me as a dumb idea) but I may take a look at Legacy #1. Our own Stewart R has made a strong case for checking out Si Spurrier’s work on Marvel’s mutants, but I might wait to see if he gives it the thumbs up before investing. Batman #14 is the only DC Universe I’ll be purchasing, but if it’s anywhere near as good as the preceding instalment, well, it’s going to be very good, isn’t it? A couple of Image books of note to round things off. I know next to nothing about Great Pacific, but it’s getting to the stage where you start feeling foolish for not trying new Image #1s. Then there’s Where Is Jake Ellis? #1, which follows on from last year’s pretty dam fine Who Is Jake Ellis?. Oh, almost forgot: Saga is back too, and there’s a lot of love for that book at the PCG, make no mistake!

No comments: