4 Dec 2012

On The Pull 05/12/2012


New comics are due to hit the shelves on Wednesday so here’s a look ahead at some of the books we’ll be picking up this week. To see what’s available at Paradox this week, click here.

Stewart R: There really are almost too many things to be written about this week with a good helping of new titles hitting the stands alongside some tantalizing second issues and an all-important penultimate effort of one of the most famous comic titles of all time. So let us start with that one! Dan Slott’s Amazing Spider-Man #698 was one of those true shocker moments that I really think will live long in the memory due to the subtle delivery and rather jarring implications left by the outcome. Now, this very Wednesday, Slott and long-time ASM artist Humberto Ramos will be showing us just how we got to this point with all the little hints that we might have missed through the past 100 issues. I for one am really looking forward to seeing Amazing Spider-Man #699 reveal all of the answers and I’m intrigued to see if it throws up as much debate and controversy. Another Marvel writer who clearly likes to play the long game is Mr Jonathan Hickman and he and the truly awesome Jerome Opena (Uncanny X-Force) kick one of the more prominent Marvel NOW! titles into the limelight this week in the form of Avengers #1. Hickman is definitely a ‘big ideas’ writer and with Avengers it also looks like he’s going ‘big team’ as we’re being promised an active membership of some two dozen characters, not to mention that we shall also be introduced to some new villains which is refreshing to hear!  Elsewhere in the comic book publisher world there’s yet another busy week at Image, with a couple of #1s and a few #2s (non-euphemistic) as well. Top of the list here must be David Hine’s Storm Dogs #2 to see if the sci-fi mystery has got the required oomph to make it a worthy ongoing and I’m looking forward to seeing where Joe Harris’ Great Pacific #2 takes us as Chas’ new life aboard his floating plastic continent begins. In the debut corner for Image I’ll be picking up I Love Trouble #1 which promises some super-powered antics as a female grifter finds herself on the run from the mob and discovers she possesses some strange abilities on the way.

Matt C: Yet another Marvel NOW! title is the pick of the bunch this week. At the moment on Thor: God Of Thunder is the only one that's cemented its place on my pull-list (a couple of other possibilities need to convince me fully) but I'm inclined to think if any other book can manage it, it'll be Avengers from Jonathan Hickman and Jerome Opena. Hickman's just come off a rather impressive run on Fantastic Four and Opena was responsible for setting the visual asthetic for Uncanny X-Force, making it one of the most distinctive superhero books in the last couple of years. Now that Bendis' monopolisation of the characters is over it'll be refreshing to see what someone else can do, and I can't think of many other current writers that fit the job requirements more than Hickman. The other Marvel NOW! issue on my radar is Iron Man #3, but that really needs to deliver a great (rather than okay) instalment to keep me on board. Having said that, I may be tempted by Thunderbolts #1 considering that some of the books I had imagined I'd be getting on a regular basis didn't win me over. Then there's Hawkeye #5. I said in my review of the last issue that it's "the best superhero book currently being published" and I'm pretty confident nothing will have me changing my tune by this time next week. Over at Image there's Blackacre #1 which Hickman, Fraction and Brubaker have all thrown their support behind, and that's good enough reason for me to give the debut issue a spin. Then there's I Love Trouble #1 which I flagged in our Ten Forward feature a couple of months ago, although I can't for the life of me remember why. Must have been a very good reason for it! Just enough time to mention Cyber Force #2 which earns its place on my list for being free - first issue was okay, but as it's costing me nothing I'll be seeing the rest of the initial five issues out to see if I become a convert.

Tom P: My efforts to trim the pull-list of this expensive hobby is starting to pay off this week. As much as I enjoyed the last Amazing Spider-Man I can't commit to the cost of the series so will be sadly sitting it out. Meanwhile, Before Watchmen: Minutemen #5 is on the shelves. Last issue was quite special and the series as a whole has been very impressive. Cyber Force #2 is free so that's a no brainier. Would I buy it if it wasn't? Maybe not, but it’s still got time to charm me, plus it’s FREE! Avengers #1 is out this week with Jerome Opena art, Dean White colours and a Jonathan Hickman script. The preview art had me salivating; mo way will I miss this. Just one comic left for me then and that's Hawkeye #5. Not checked it out yet? You need to read it. Trust me.

4 comments:

Matt Clark said...

Somehow missed that Deadpool #3 was out too. That's not a definite keeper yet either, but it's getting close (possibly closer than Iron Man).

Andy C said...

Nice lists guys, and loving the earlier posting than the old 'Incoming' feature. Plenty of time to consider adopting your recommendations, and pretending they were my idea!

From my list for this week, I'm nervously looking forward to Legend of Luther Strode #1. I really enjoyed the original mini-series but largely due to the brilliantly written Librarian character who (presumably) won't be around this time. Fingers crossed....

I'm hoping Storm Dogs #2 really delivers the goods after a promising but rather familiar #1.

Also have to see what Thunderbolts #1 can do.

Andy C said...

Yay, Luther Strode totally delivered!

In my opinion, however, Thunderbolts was poo!

Andy C said...

Feel free to use my blow-by-blow in depth analysis in your mini-reviews!