11 Dec 2012

On The Pull 12/12/2012


New comics are due to hit the shelves on Wednesday so here’s a look ahead at some of the books we’ll be picking up this week. To see what’s available at Paradox this week, click here.

Matt C: I'm not familiar with Dennis Hopeless' work. Without Googling his name I wouldn't be able to tell you what comics he's written in the past, and if I have read any of them I certainly don't remember. But it's clear Marvel want to be in the Hopeless business (yes, I'm refraining from making the obvious jokes here!) as evidenced by not one but two Marvel NOW! titles bearing his name this week, Avengers Acadamy and Cable And X-Force. And yep, I'm going to give both of them a shot! The former looks to be cashing in on the success of Hunger Games, a kind of superhero spin on Battle Royale, the latter a continuation of the X-Force brand that's unlikely to be up to the standard set by Uncanny X-force. We shall see. As for other Marvel NOW! titles being served up, I've decided to pass on Fantastic Four but will persist with Iron Man. If I'm taking a guess at a contender for book of the week I'll go with either Batman #15 or The Massive #7. But then you never know, taking into account its previous trajectory, Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan #3 might just swoop in and beat 'em all!

Tom P: Its all going on at Dark Horse for me this week as we see the release of a Brian Wood double-bill with Conan The Barbarian #11 and The Massive #7. That's one strong start. Odd as it may sound, until this year Conan was an unread corner of comics for me and it has become one of my most consistent and enjoyable titles to read. The Massive has also been extremely solid and has a real Battlestar Galactica vibe. When I say that I'm not talking about Cylons and spaceships but the politics and feeling of being on a ship searching for something whilst always being on the edge. That make sense? Rick Remender's Fear Agent Omnibus Volume 1 hardcover is also released. Like Uncanny X-Force? You will love this! Andy H at Paradox has my long pre-ordered copy to one side awaiting a relative with some of my Christmas money to come its way! The BPRD omnibus editions from Dark Horse have been awesome and you get a lot of bang for your buck so this comes highly recommended. I'll be sure to check out Avengers Arena #1 as fellow Brit and 2000 AD genius Kev Walker is on art and I think his style is bloody brilliant. I may have sold all my Snyder Batman issues as they're going for silly money on eBay but I won't miss #15. Great storytelling (I will just grab the earlier issues in trade paperback form and pocket the difference, ta very much!). Last but far from least we have Winter Soldier #13. I will miss Brubaker on this; his work on Bucky and Natasha is, and will always be, definitive for me.

3 comments:

boo said...

Looks like I might have to buy a Marvel comic - Kev Walker is the bizniz! Nice one for the hedzup...

Stewart R said...

Boo, have you seen his work in Jeff Parker's Thunderbolts run? That was some pretty fine artwork right there and decent writing from Parker to boot! I'm sure Tom P would back me up on that!

Tom P said...

Yeah, Thunderbolts was great and always more awesome when he drew it! Glad I flagged it up for you, Boo!