15 Jan 2013

On The Pull 15/01/2013


New comics are due to hit the shelves on Wednesday so here’s a look ahead at some of the books we’ll be picking up this week. To see what’s available at Paradox this week, click here.

Stewart R: A comparatively quieter week on the old pull-list for me is going to allow me to sample some brand new properties from a handful of different publishers. On Image’s side of things (oh yes, they have a new book out again!) I’ll be taking a look at the amusingly titled Todd, The Ugliest Kid On Earth #1 hitting shelves on Wednesday. From looking at the blurb it looks like we’re set to get a dark comedy miniseries involving sex, decapitation and neo-Nazi prison gangs (not all at once I assume, but you never can tell with Image books!) and the art certainly looks quirky. I’ll then be taking a peek at Antarctic Press’ wares for the first time by picking up Crawling Sky #1 for some black and white, haunted horror western fun. I’ll admit that I’m not the biggest horror fan, but Oni Press’ Sixth Gun has turned me around when it comes to supernatural Wild West tales and the preview artwork that I’ve seen looks enticing. Finally it’s back to DC for the first time in a long time as I’m going to take a look at Insurgent #1. I’ve definitely fallen out of love with DC over the past year in terms of their wider titles, tending to stick to just Batman and Green Lantern books for guaranteed consistency - Batman #16 and Batman And Robin #16 happily sitting on my pull-list this week - but there was just something about a science fiction conspiracy and action title with weird nanotech powered threats that has me wondering if the publisher can lure me back with something new in 2013.

Tom P: Crom! The first Conan The Barbarian of the year and, in case you missed it, writer Brian Wood will soon start a new all-female X-Men series with the talented - and French - Olivier Coipel (who is frankly at the top of the heap of artists working at the moment, as far as I'm concerned). Exciting times! Black Beetle #1 will surely serve up some pulp just the way I like it, and then Saga #9 will provide a welcome return to the escapism of such a wonderfully realised universe. All-New X-Men #6 sees Paradoscar winner David Marquez join Bendis to continue what I've been told is a surprisingly strong X-book. I’ve loved the pair's work on Ultimate Spider-Man over the past year so I'm keen to start picking this book up. As I will also be picking up Captain America #3, Indestructible Hulk #3 and New Avengers #2, I would say that for me, Marvel NOW! is so far delivering the goods.

Matt C: Not an especially big week for me, which is somewhat welcome when you have a massive backlog of stuff to read! Top of the pile will be Black Beetle #1, which sees Francesco Francavilla bring back his pulp hero after giving us a taster of his adventures in the issue #0 last month. Batman #16 is another highlight, although I'm wondering if I'm growing weary of 'Death of the Family' now and wishing DC would release the Bat-books from this cycle of crossovers that they appear to have set in motion. A handful of other titles but this kind of lull usually means a heftier haul is due next week. I’ll start saving my pennies now!

No comments: